On March 16 at 12:30 PM at the Robert H. Lee Alumni Centre, eight talented UBC graduate students presented their research in three minutes each, competing for the top prize in this year’s Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition. After long and thoughtful deliberation, our panel of guest judges declared the winners:
First Place: Manveen Kaur, MSc in Applied Animal Biology: Effect of Fat Protected Vitamin B Supplementation on Bovine Uterus, Supervisor: Dr. Ronaldo L.A. Cerri
Runner Up: Seth Tigchelaar, PhD in Neuroscience: Biomarkers for Spinal Cord Injury, Supervisor: Dr. Brian K. Kwon
Honourable Mention: Ellen Schelew, PhD in Physics: Secure Communication with Quantum Information, Supervisor: Dr. Jeff Young
People’s Choice: Sue Peters, PhD in Rehabilitation Sciences: PAY ATTENTION! Supervisors: Drs. Lara Boyd and S. Jayne Garland
Manveen will go on to represent UBC at the 2017 Western Regional 3MT Competition on April 28 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Our top finalists will also present at a number of events around the region over the next few months.
Our remaining finalists were (in alphabetical order):
- Arnab Ray, MSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences: Epilepsy: Building a Model for Future Diagnosis, Supervisor: Dr. Tara L. Klassen
- Katharine Thompson, PhD in Microbiology and Immunology: Bacteria That Changed the World, Supervisor: Dr. Sean Crowe
- Laura Whalin, MSc in the Animal Welfare Program: Pair Housing of Calves in Modified Calf Hutches, Supervisor: Dr. Marina von Keyserlingk
- Taha Qaiser, MSc in Kinesiology: Training the 6th Sense! Could it Help Recover Walking after Spinal Cord Injury? Supervisor: Dr. Tania Lam
Thank you to our participants, judges, hosts and organizers
3MT depends on volunteer organizers, hosts, judges, presenters, and volunteers from many UBC faculties, departments and units. This year, over 80 students took part in preliminary 3MT heats organized by various faculties and departments. Twenty graduate students progressed to the semi-final competitions, and eight moved on to the finals. Thank you to everyone who presented, judged, organized or volunteered at a 3MT event. 3MT would not be possible without the dedication and hard work of so many volunteers.
The judging panel at our final event has the hardest job of all, and this year, the competition was particularly stiff. The 2017 final judging panel was:
- Aaron Sihota, BSc, BSc Pharm, RPh, UBC Alumnus, Clinical Instructor-Dermatology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Science
- Terry Lavender, MSc, Manager, Communications, Office of the President
- Laurence Meadows, PhD, Director, Business Development, MITACS Inc.
- Michele Murphy, MA, Alumni Career Educator, Alumni UBC
Our final was hosted by Jennifer Gardy, a UBC alumna, professor, scientist, and well-known science communicator.
Thank you to our sponsors
This event would not be possible without the generous support of our sponsors:
If you are interested in supporting our 2018 3MT events, please contact Jacqui Brinkman at Jacqui.firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the options.